The modern office has evolved into an open and collaborative environment, encouraging employees to utilize each other for ideas and motivation. However, open offices can lead to distracting noises, interrupting other employees, and disruption to the workflow.
The most common distractions employee experience while working is chatty coworkers and office noise; up to 70% of employees find too much conversation in the office takes focus away from work.
Taking away focus from an assignment or project can cause stress, affect overall office productivity, and morale. While open offices can promote creativity and team building, it can also cause communication problems and a loss of focus.
Removing preventable distractions proves enormous benefits for employees:
Creating an optimized work environment allows employees to work effectively and productively, thus increasing the quality and consistency of the overall output.
Here are 7 ways to optimize your open office:
- Place your employees or departments according to their need for collaborative versus independent work – does their position include a lot of phone calls? If so, it would be best to place them away from data analysts who need silent concentration.
- Place coffee machines strategically throughout the office. Areas that are easily accessible to employees from short distances or do not require consistent silence are ideal. Avoiding high foot traffic areas can also prevent lingering conversation.
- Creating alternative or designated spaces for employees to decompress, such as a cafe or reserving conference rooms for collaborative work.
- Encouraging the use of headphones for music or white noise can help employees maintain focus when working independently.
- Implementing a code of conduct can help employees maintain positive communication and behavior habits.
- Displaying posters throughout the office can act as a reminder for employees to be considerate of others in the workspace.
- Incorporate kuando Busylight’s presence, call alert, and notification system. The simple but effective display light gives management and employees a visual overview of their colleagues’ status while receiving visual and audio notification on incoming calls and events.